Snort mailing list archives

Re: Antwort: Re: Blocking not friendly traffic

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:52:22 -0700

Danger Will Robinson: Conventional wisdom says that
auto-blocking is inherently dangerous.

However, for those that like to live at the
bleeding edge of tech (and the separate
process scanning logs and processing
firewall commands sounds like a good
way to do this...):

Please remember to include an exclusion list and put
on them important sites such as root servers, other
important dns servers (yours, and important sites for
your users), and in general any host you don't want
to receive phone calls about being DoSed when
they are spoofed - usually inconveniently like that
first time you actually manage to get on vacation....
(i.e. imagine "Crisis: the ceo can't reach his favorite
redlite.org game.... you have to fly back from the
carribean asap....")

cheers,
--dr