Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stream4 and other stuff

From: Victor Barahona <victor.barahona () uam es>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:41:06 +0200

My suggestion would be to start disabling various Snort plugins and
rules files to see where the performance hit is coming from and to
report from there once you have.  I'm very interested in this data as
well, since I don't have a highly utilized network to test on it's
really difficult to test the performance of the system lately.  One
thing that I have found puzzling lately is that it almost appears as if
the performance of the pattern matcher has gone *down*, which isn't at
all right.

Maybe this helps you.

I'm running snort (1.8beta6 build26) and analizing a line with 15-20 Mb/s,
hardware is a PIII 256Mb with linux and running mysql and acid, oficial rules
from snort.

Fist time I run snort the CPU go to 95% but after some probes I notice that
when I comented the http rules the cpu came to 35%-40. After some probes
more, I notice that when in the configuracion file was:

var HTTP_SERVERS [xxx.yyy.9.8,xxx.yyy.9.237,xxx.yyy.30.2]

The analice was CPU intensive 95% but when I chage to this:

var HTTP_SERVERS [xxx.yyy.0.0/16]

The CPU back to 40%

Regards

--
"Alone? you are not alone, Bigbrother is watching you"