Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log file problem

From: Dave Cinege <dcinege () psychosis com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:50:31 -0400

Ush wrote:

Hello,

I am running snort (v1.8), and wish to know how to make snort log everyting
to one single text file. (in plain text).

Ie, the output which would normally go to syslog with the -s option, I want
to go to a file of another name.

How do I do this.

I have searched www.snort.org for a way of doing this, but I just can't seam
to find an answer :-(

My previous 1.5 install used to log everything to /var/log/snort.alert. I
wish to continue to do this.

In my /var/log/snort directory, some things are listed by sub directories of
the IP address in question, and never go to /var/log/snort/alerts etc.

How can I just make the whole damm lot go to one single file (like
/var/log/snort.alert)

Other than that, I have snort working just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Same problem, and i just happened to fix an hour ago. Take a look
at the csv module which let's you spec what items to send to a file.

With some minor work I was able to get this to log packet data as well.

If you can C it's a simple framework to output anyway you want.