Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to ignore scans from trusted hosts?

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:58:46 -0600

Have you tried:

  preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $IGNOREHOSTS

(the syntax for host list is space separated host addresses)

Also, I take the spp_portscan.c file and comment out the logging of
alerts.  This leaves the scan data in the text scan file which can
be looked at and summarized in other ways.  It is just plain nuts
to send thousands of alerts to an sql database.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:59:42AM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
"Neil" == Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu> writes:

    Neil> Roeland Weve <roeland () office netland nl> wrote asking:

    >> I've seen it in a snort.conf version where the trusted host
    >> 'www.snort.org' was ignored from getting alerts from.  Now I'm
    >> getting alerts from some trusted hosts and want to ignore them
    >> by putting them in the snort.conf file.  I forgot how to do
    >> that, is it still possible and how can I do it?

    Neil> Yes, you need to write a "pass" rule, e.g.:

    Neil>   pass tcp 205.164.217.39 80 <> any any

That won't stop it from complaining about portscans, since that is
handled in a pre-preocessor (before the rules are matched). What you
need to to is write a tcpdump-style filter to exclude the host, eg.

not ( tcp and host trusted.host and port 80 )

and either append it to the command line or put it in a file and use
the -F option to snort.

I've also had problems with pass rules being ignored if you  put them
after 'include' directives in 1.7. I really should see it that's been
fixed in 1.8.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill () AJLC Waterloo ON CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571

--
Phil Wood, cpw () lanl gov