Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to ignore scans from trusted hosts?

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:55:31 -0500 (CDT)

Roeland Weve <roeland () office netland nl> wrote asking:

I've seen it in a snort.conf version where the trusted host
'www.snort.org' was ignored from getting alerts from.
Now I'm getting alerts from some trusted hosts and want to ignore them
by putting them in the snort.conf file.
I forgot how to do that, is it still possible and how can I do it?

Yes, you need to write a "pass" rule, e.g.:

  pass tcp 205.164.217.39 80 <> any any

Then be sure to use the '-o' option on the command line when you start
Snort, so that the "pass" rules are acted upon before the "alert" rules.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department