Snort mailing list archives

Sound Alerting Preprocessor

From: Andrea Barisani <lcars () infis univ trieste it>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 18:23:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hi to all!

Does anyone has tried Peep (The Network Auralizer, peep.sourceforge.net).
Take a look at it! I'm currently using it and I think that is a great tool
(and also very effective). Do you think that a similiar plugin for snort
could be useful ? I think so, sound alerting for a set of events (like
specific exploit and portscans...mmh maybe this could flood the
administrators ears :) ) could raise the admin response time. Actually
there's no need to implement such a plugin, mainly because peep is a log
parser and so it can parse snort log files with user defined patterns,
however a plugin can do the work much faster (maybe with new rules
extensions), and we could also implement a traffic rate audible indicator
(like the load average monitor of peep wich play a waterflow).

I know that it sounds like a VERY silly thing for an IDS but beleive me,
it's very useful...just try it :)

Let me know what you think.

Bye

INFIS Network Administrator & Security Officer
Department of Physics       - University of Trieste
lcars () infis univ trieste it - PGP Key 0x8E21FE82