Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] classification changes

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 23 May 2001 11:24:26 -0500

Brian Caswell <bmc () mitre org> writes:
I don't think url-access/exploit are any different than attempted-user
in the large scheme of things.

Actually, I do.  One is an exploit.  One is just a probe.  I'm much
more concerned if someone does /scripts/../../../winnt/cmd.exe than if
they do /cgi-bin/phf

Thats what I was trying to say. Didn't say it clearly enough

service-probe for like a bind.version
attempted-admin for an root exploit

attempted-user for an exploit that will give you nobody privledges

phf would be a service-probe, cmd would be an attempted-user

I was arguing that url-attempt / url-exploit are the same as a
service-probe and an attempted-user-exploit

host-mapping == os identification? That sounds like a specific
information

host-mapping would contain NMAP probes, and things host -> many hosts
targetting a single port.  Actually, I will be releasing HOMER soon,
an alert correlation engine that we at MITRE have developed.  (See the
SANS paper on Intrusion Detection & Data Mining)  This classification
is used by those things.

Ah, I would have called host-mapping "network-mapping".

--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>