Snort mailing list archives

RE: Port 10008/tcp ?

From: "Jason Lewis" <jlewis () jasonlewis net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:54:19 -0400

This is from the Incidents list at Securityfocus.com

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Joerg Weber wrote:

my FW-Logs went insane last night with gazillions of connection attempts
port 10008.
FW-1 does unfortunately not log dropped packets, so I've no idea about
flags
et al, but the scan looks like this:
SourcePort = Increases with each scan
DestPort   = 10008

I got some scans on port 10008 as well.  The really odd thing is this.  If
you port scan them back, you'll find that on some high TCP port, if you
connect and send a few newlines, it'll reply with a uuencoded cheese.tgz
file.  I took a very brief look at the contents of cheese.tgz.  The
comments say it's a cleaner, written to remove root shells from
inetd.conf.  There's alot more than that in the code though.  Looks like a
trojan that's really a scanner.

Jason Lewis
http://www.packetnexus.com
"All you can do is manage the risks. There is no security."