Snort mailing list archives

snort.conf and rules

From: "Bunter, Matthew" <Matthew.Bunter () cwcom cwplc com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:19:07 +0100

All,

Still having problems getting snort started and would appreciate any help.

using vision.rules (vision.rules.gz from whitehats)
Snort 1.7

Got my DNS boxes specified, no SMTP boxes on my segment (used nmap to
verify), ignoring SQL boxes therefore commented out.

Preprocessors :
defrag
http_decode: 80 8080
portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 /var/log/snort/portscan.log
portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS

Output
alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT - forgive my stupidity but does anything
need to be done to syslog.conf? DO any files need to be touched before
running snort?

Rule Set
include /etc/snort/Rules/vision.rules
My local.rules is commented out. What sort of include/ignores do people have
that isn't covered in the DNS, SQL, SMTP areas of snort.conf? Could anyone
point me to an example local.rules file?

With all the above I am getting error messages that tell me things are wrong
with the rules e.g. vision.rules (1) => Invalid CIDR block for IP addr 1024
:
If I comment this out I then get Port value missing in rule for rule 2, same
for rule 3. I'm just trying to get Snort working Please help - going crazy!

Regards,

Matt

This message may contain information which is confidential or privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments
without retaining a copy.