Snort mailing list archives

Re: -o and pass/alert/log usage

From: Tony Lill <ajlill () ajlc waterloo on ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:57:36 EDT

"Paul" == Paul Sheahan <Sheahan> writes:

    Paul> I was told in another post that it doesn't matter WHERE the
    Paul> pass rules are in any of the .rules files, and it doesn't
    Paul> matter in what order the rules files are included in
    Paul> snort.conf. If you use the -o option, all pass rules are
    Paul> taken into account first, then alerts. If this is wrong, I'd
    Paul> like to know so I get it straight too!

That's how it's supposed to work. However, if you are using 1.7,
there's some bug with include directives that makes this not so, and I
had to move my pass rules before including all the snort rules to work
around it.

I really have to find some time to verify whether or not it exists in
the current CVS source.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill () AJLC Waterloo ON CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571