Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-announce] run snort on GRE tunnel interface?

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:35:19 -0400

Snort doesn't support GRE decoding yet, so it won't run on a GRE
interface.  The segfault is incidental to the shutdown process,
something we have to clean up, but even if we cleaned that up it
wouldn't run.  I've been planning on adding GRE decoding for a while,
but if you want/need it before I get to it, adding decoders to Snort
isn't especially hard.  If you want to take a shot at it, feel free (and
also feel free to ask any questions you might have about the process).

     -Marty

Andreas Dembach wrote:

Hi,

snort version 1.7 SEGFAULTS if told to listen on a GRE tunnel interface:

-----------------------
# snort -h xx.xx.xx.xx/24 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
-S"HOME_NET=xx.xx.xx.xx/24"     -l /var/log/snort -b -d -u snort -g snort
-s -i gre0
Initializing Network Interface gre0
Warning: arptype 778 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked
socket

snort cannot handle data link type 113
Exiting...
Segmentation fault
#
-------------------------------

Is this a snort problem or one of libpcap? tcpdump complains (but works
anyway):

Warning: arptype 778 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked
socket
tcpdump: listening on gre0

Im am running on linux with a 2.2.17 kernel and libpcap0 0.6.2-1

Any ideas or comments?

Andreas Dembach

--
Martin Roesch