Snort mailing list archives

Re[2]: performance snort question

From: Lee Smallbone <lee () smallbone com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:11:08 +0100

MH> I know this doesn't pertain to the current thread exactly....but...
MH> I just got a alpha EV56 600mhz with 256megs of ram and a two(2) tulip
MH> chip set based NICs.  Does the list think that would handle 2 fully
MH> statuated 100mbs lines?  It'd be loggin to a mysql database or a .dbi
MH> file.  Think the machine will be able to handle it?

 IMO, yes.

MH> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:43:06PM +0100, Lee Smallbone wrote:
RW> I you use logging into MySQL, you must have a better configuration.
RW> But, yes, I think this works fine when just Snort logs into txt file.

 Not a major concern in my instance as all logging is made to a central
 MySQL server. If you intend to log locally to an SQL server, consider
 doubling the below specification, especially if you intend to also run
 something like ACID on the same box.

/Lee

Lee Smallbone <lee () smallbone com> writes:

EHS> I haven't seen an answer to Roeland's questions so far.  I am
EHS> currently considering building a snort box wich should be able to
EHS> withstand a saturated 100mbps in worst-case, and have been unable to
EHS> find even the slightest hint on what hardware requirement would be
EHS> needed to do that.

 The author seems fairly sure that a 486 should be able to keep up
 with a 100mbit/s link. I'd go one step further and use the following
 configuration so I know it would be there if it was needed:

               o) old pentium of some sort (P90/100)
               o) 32-64mb ram
               o) Large disk to cope with logs (pref SCSI or ATA100)
               o) Decent, trusted 100mbit/s NIC

Thank you very much for your answer!  I really needed this information
to support my push for building a snort based IDS box :)

/Esben

RW> --
RW> Netland Internet Services
RW> bedrijfsmatige internetoplossingen

RW> http://www.netland.nl   Kruislaan 419              1098 VA Amsterdam
RW> info: 020-5628282       servicedesk: 020-5628280   fax: 020-5628281

Best regards,
 Lee                            mailto:lee () smallbone com