Snort mailing list archives

Re: performance snort question

From: Roeland Weve <roeland () office netland nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:55:27 +0200

/Esben,

Sorry I wasn't clear:
I think that logging into a txt file is faster
then logging into a MySQL/Postgres database.

But then, when the database increases and you want to do a big
search/delete
in the MySQL/Postgres database, this takes a lot of system performance.
Then (I don't now how Snort handles this) it could be possible that
Snort droppes some packets, or MySQL 'crashes' and Snort can't log into
MySQL anymore...

That's what I wanted to tell.
I hope it's clear now, just mail me if it isn't.

Roeland

Roeland Weve <roeland () office netland nl> writes:

I you use logging into MySQL, you must have a better configuration.
But, yes, I think this works fine when just Snort logs into txt file.

I am not sure about what the above means.  Which one is faster, mysql
or txt-file logging ?

/Esben

--
Netland Internet Services
bedrijfsmatige internetoplossingen

http://www.netland.nl   Kruislaan 419              1098 VA Amsterdam
info: 020-5628282       servicedesk: 020-5628280   fax: 020-5628281