Secure Coding mailing list archives

CSRF and Header Forging - your thoughts needed

From: michael.coates at owasp.org (Michael Coates)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:01:45 -0700

All,

I'm looking for thoughts on CSRF attacks that result in forged headers
from the victim user to the target site. Are there modern attacks that
work here? If not, could we implement a CSRF protection that uses a
custom header and avoid the cost of computing random numbers?  This
sounds very strange at first since we are accustomed to the standard
random CSRF token approach.  However, please take a look and contribute
to the comment thread:

http://michael-coates.blogspot.com/2010/05/csrf-attacks-and-forged-headers.html

(Several comments on the article already, I encourage you to post your
comments there for everyone to read)

Thanks!

--
Michael Coates