Secure Coding mailing list archives

What do you like better Web penetration testing or static code analysis?

From: brian at fortify.com (Brian Chess)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:08:06 -0700

I like your point Matt.  Everybody who's responded thus-far has wanted to
turn this into a discussion about what's most effective or what has the most
benefit, sort of like we were comparing which icky medicine to take or which
overcooked vegetable to eat.  Maybe they don't get any pleasure from the
work itself.

It sounds as though you need to change up your static analysis style.  A few
years back we ran competitions at BlackHat where we found we could identify
and exploit vulnerabilities starting from static analysis just as quickly as
from fuzzing.  Here?s an overview:

http://reddevnews.com/Blogs/Desmond-File/2008/08/Iron-Chef-Competition-at-Bl
ack-Hat-Cooks-Up-Security-Goodness.aspx

Interviews with Charlie Miller and Sean Fay:
http://blog.fortify.com/blog/2009/05/02/Iron-Chef-Interviews-Part-1-Charlie-
Miller-1-2
http://blog.fortify.com/blog/2009/05/02/Iron-Chef-Interviews-Part-2-Sean-Fay

Brian