Secure Coding mailing list archives

[WEB SECURITY] RE: How to stop hackers at the root cause

From: jeremiah at inertialbit.net (Jeremiah Heller)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:27:29 -0700

an interesting point. if it were not socially unacceptable to perform ethnic cleansing it would still occur at the
levels indicated in those examples. if it were not for the civil rights movement and the eventually wide-spread
acceptance of the idea that discrimination based on superficial properties was bad, there would still be slavery.
socially, groups clashed (and some still do) over their ideologies, which were used as a basis for logic and perceived
sound-judgement. however the more we learn about the universe/world around us the more we understand how little we know
and that any judgement can only be temporary, until more knowledge is gained.

is it more ideologically sound to feed ones family or to obey a law which would allow them to starve simply due to a
lack of other economic stimuli? i'm not speaking from any hard data, but i doubt that many third-world countries have a
high local market for security experts, web developers, graphic designers, etc. so what is a poor-third-worlder with an
old hand-me-down PC and no job to do?

do security professionals really want to wipe hacking activity from the planet? sounds like poor job security to me.

the drive for survival seems key. i think that when the survival of many is perceived as threatened, then 'bad hacking'
will be addressed on a scale which will contain it to the point that slavery is contained today... after all don't
hackers simply 'enslave' other computers? j/k

until then it seems that educating people on how these things /work/ is the best strategy. eventually we will reach the
point where firewalls and trojan-hunting are as common as changing your oil and painting a house.

first we should probably unravel the electron... and perhaps the biological effects of all of these radio waves
bouncing around our tiny globe... don't get me wrong, i like my microwaves, they give me warm fuzzy feelings:)