Secure Coding mailing list archives

SANS Institute - CWE/SANS TOP 25 Most Dangerous ProgrammingErrors

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:49:55 -0500

hi sc-l,

There are some important good things about top ten lists that are worthy of mention.  The notion of knowing your enemy
is essential in security (as it is in warfare), and top ten lists can help get software people started thinking about
attacks, attackers, and the vulnerabilities they go after. These days almost any attention paid to the problem is good
attention, and the fact that the the tech press is paying attention to software security at all is a good thing.  Top
ten lists help in that respect.

But, I am really worried about these kinds of lists and I wrote up my worries in an article that was just posted:
Top Eleven Reasons Why Top 10 (or Top 25) Lists Don't Work
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1322398

I thought you might get a kick out of it.

gem

http://www.cigital.com/~gem