Secure Coding mailing list archives

Announcing LAMN: Legion AgainstMeaningless certificatioNs

From: jim at manico.net (Jim Manico)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:43:59 -1000

It really depends on what you are hiring for.

If we are talking App/Software security - like Gary has said many times - I would rather hire a software guy and train
them about security. Doing it the other way around is almost impossible. How can you really do software security if you
are netsec expert with no experience writing real software? This is especially true if you are taking a more strategic
approach to software security.

And the opposite is true - hiring a coder to lock down a network probably isn't the best hiring choice! =)

What really bothers me is that the CSSLP looks appsec operations focused - not developer  SDLC focused (or so I've
heard). The SANS cert for software security seems to drill a lot more into actual activities a developer should take in
order write secure code and seems somewhat reasonable to me. I think a secure software architecture cert would round
out current offerings well.