Secure Coding mailing list archives

FW: How Can You Tell It Is Written Securely?

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:08:49 -0500

Some other thoughts that I haven't heard others mention?

1. OK, if you find that they didn't meet all the security requirements,
will your business customers still want you to put it into production
anyway? If the answer is yes, do you still want them to support it? How
do we quantify who is responsible if a breach happens and you gave them
a waiver.

2. security clauses have a side effect in contracts that others need to
noodle. If you have a clause that can only be measured over a longer
timespan, it tickers with revenue recognition. So, how long do you want
folks to certify that things are secure.

3. I like secure coding as much as the next guy and checking for CSRF is
a good thing. How about noodling requirements around logging such that
if they didn't get it right upfront that you at least have something
forensically useful for after the fact?

4. While we are all developers, do you think there is merit in
addressing roles of vendors especially non-development? For example, is
it valuable to have them have on staff a security architect with lots of
credentials that is separate from the development lifecycle (distinct
from being totally ivory tower or hands-off)?

5. How much more are folks willing to pay to build security in? This
kinda doesn't align with going offshore to get cheapest resource. It is
in their best interest to be an impediment to this goal and you need to
define things in a more friendly manner. Coming out of the gate by
throwing others under the bus probably will not get you what you desire
(of course, it is a tactic I use way too much)
This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary,
confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure,
dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.