Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Getting Started

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:00:26 -0600

Another approach is decentralized specialized teams, centers of excellence
in current managementspeak, with a specific agenda and expertise on an area
deemed strategic. This approach is probably best paired with 2,3, or 4 from
your list. For example, a roving specialized threat modeling team that works
with many groups to help develop threat models, attack patterns, tests, and
so on. Or a roving team that focuses on build secure web apps and cuts
across groups for specialized tasks for secure web app dev, say how do I use
cardspace in my web app?

Once you figure out what your strategic goals are for security - threat
modeling, cardspace, static analysis, secure web app deve, etc. You can use
#2 to focus them on the right stuff, or use #3 as roving advisers (like the
cia in the cold war), or in #4 arm them with a tool or technology like XML
Security gateway or static analysis tools to make a small band more
effective in a large organization.

-gp