Secure Coding mailing list archives

Microsoft Pushes Secure, Quality Code

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:35:18 -0500

That said, we should keep trying!  I believe one answer is to take advantage
of relative metrics over time.

I agree that this can be a practical starting point for organizations. I had
a client starting down the path with static analysis, they have thousands of
developers and many applications. They have a small software security team
and they obviously cannot scan every single app. Worse, if they find
something they don't necessarily have the governance in place to make sure
that a lot of what they find gets addressed.

So what we did was to get the CIO to give them one silver bullet a month.
They scanned 8-10 apps per month, and whichever one came up worst based on
the metrics in the group had to remediate. This approach has some
incremental benefits - 1) it gets security out of the "its perfect or its
broken business" 2) at least one project per month makes measurable
improvements 3) the projects are not being compared to an ivory tower but
rather to their peers who have to deliver under the same constraints, making
the suggested remediations more palatable to the developers.

There is no way to relativity, relativity is the way.

-gp