Secure Coding mailing list archives

Software Security Training for Developers

From: nish at securitycompass.com (Nish Bhalla)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:43:32 -0400

Hi James,

I am not sure if my email was interpreted correctly. What I was saying is
the things to do to customizing the training to fit your individual
environment for example "if you have specific policies and/or guidelines"
they are integrated into the training.

For example: if you have a password policy for your web application saying
that the passwords should be atleast 9 characters long alpha numeric, then
when teaching a developers class this should be explicitly called out and
shown or if you are required to be PCI compliant, often debug logs have
credit card information or passwords or session id stored in them in clear
text. This should be explicitly called out and developers need to be made
aware of them.

Hope this helps clarify what I was saying.

Our class does cover generic policies and guidelines in terms of best
practices and is part of course material.  If you would like to know more
about them, might I suggest talking offline and discussing it in more detail
?

Regards,

Nish.

  _____