Secure Coding mailing list archives

Software Security Training for Developers

From: yo at secappdev.org (Johan Peeters)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:51:00 +0200

From my experience with secappdev.org (http://secappdev.org), a
not-for-profit organization set up to create security awareness and
improve skills in the developer community, I find myself in agreement
with many of the points that Sammy raises.
Development is not only about coding. secappdev tends to pay
relatively little attention to coding; adoption of new technologies
offering novel opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot is so
rapid, platforms so varied and applications so different that we have
found teaching secure software engineering principles to be a better
investment for both students and teachers alike. While it is certainly
true that what ultimately matters is the code, conventional wisdom has
it that coding only accounts for about 20% of the development effort.
The rest of the time is spent in specification, design, test,
deployment and project management. We feel it is counter-productive to
draw sharp distinctions between these various activities, they all
need to be done well to deliver a succesful project. So we spend
considerable time looking at their security implications.

Apart from chiming in with Sammy, I would also like to point out that
our target audience are application developers and their main focus is
definitely not security, nor should it be: their job is to create
value by adding functionality. Rather than teaching them to become
security experts, we try to teach them strategies for getting away
with as little security knowledge as possible so that they can focus
on their core concerns.
So one of the things we do is to make sure that participants have a
good grasp of the security services offered by application platforms.
An example of an architectural level discussion would be the choice of
platform and its impact on security as well as how to mitigate the
risks.

Effective security teaching imparts a mindset, the body of knowledge
is incidental. So we have a strong commitment to teach small groups
with plenty of opportunity for interaction and immersion. At the next
presentation, we are increasing the number of workshop sessions
requiring participants to actively participate in problem-solving.

So far, all secappdev.org presentations have been in Belgium and that
may be a little out of the way for some/most of you. However,
recordings of most of the last presentation are available from the web
pages with the descriptions of individual sessions - mail me if you
need fuller instructions.
The next presentation is planned for the week starting March 3rd 2008.
This will be a dual-track event. I hope to be able to publish the
program very soon.

kr,

Yo