Secure Coding mailing list archives

how far we still need to go

From: dinis at ddplus.net (Dinis Cruz)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:03:18 +0100

It's a simple economics problem. The moment these companies and developers
lose sales (or market share) because their products require admin / root
privileges to run, is the moment they start to REALLY support it.

And the reason why there isn't such REAL demand (with the exception of crazy
security dudes like us and the poor unlucky guys who actually GOT attacked)
is because the attackers are not exploiting the fact that these apps need
admin / root.

And if the attackers are not exploiting it, the customers are not losing
money, and if the customers are not losing money they will not demand more
secure systems.

So its good news, we are still safe, since the Risk is quite low :)

Btw, at OWASP we are trying to organize an OWASP Day to coincide with the
Global Security Week. See http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Day for more
details and please feel free to get involved :)

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist
http://www.owasp.org