Secure Coding mailing list archives

how far we still need to go

From: coley at linus.mitre.org (Steven M. Christey)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:43:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, William L. Anderson wrote:

I am flabbergasted. When I first encountered Unix in 1983 I was taught
that you always run as an ordinary user, and only use admin (root)
privileges when needed. If OS X developers are running as admin, and
building and testing their products as admin, well ... I'm still in
shock. And I weep for the species.

Unfortunately, there's not much of a surprise here.  The same problem
exists for lots of Windows-based applications.  I regard it as a leftover
from the fact that these OSes were not designed to be multi-user, but the
threat landscape has changed such that multiple users (or at least
multiple roles for the same user?) are necessary.  This will take a bit of
time before it registers with the everyday computer user or developer of
these mono-user systems.

- Steve