Secure Coding mailing list archives

Tools: Evaluation Criteria

From: peter.amey at praxis-his.com (Peter Amey)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:32:08 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: sc-l-bounces at securecoding.org
[mailto:sc-l-bounces at securecoding.org] On Behalf Of Wall, Kevin
Sent: 24 May 2007 12:45
To: McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)
Cc: SC-L at securecoding.org
Subject: Re: [SC-L] Tools: Evaluation Criteria

James McGovern wrote...

Maybe folks are still building square windows because we haven't
realized how software fails and can describe it in terms of
a pattern.
The only pattern-oriented book I have ran across in my
travels is the
Core Security Patterns put out by the folks at Sun. Do you think we
should stop talking solely about code and start talking about how
vulnerabilities are repeatedly introduced and describe
using patterns
notation?

[snip

I am very happy to accept that we may not understand /all/ or even
/most/ of the ways software fails but we do know an awful lot.  Buffer
overflows, numeric overflows and division by zero have been wee
understood for years.  The first was limited by various versions of
Pascal ages ago.  Yet we are still clinging to techniques that hope we
can spot a buffer overflow "pattern" after construction (and hopefully
before an exploiter!).

There is a nice symmetry about my aeronautical analogy.  The Comet
disasters occurred just over 50 years after the Wright brothers first
flew; and we are still fiddling around with buffer overflows just over
50 years after Colossus (at the Bletchley Park crypto centre of Enigma
fame) signalled the start of the computer age.

That's all, back to the asylum!

Peter

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error please contact the sender. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Praxis.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, no responsibility is
accepted by Praxis or any of its associated companies for any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use
thereof. The IT Department at Praxis can be contacted at it.support at praxis-his.com.

Praxis High Integrity Systems Ltd:

Company Number: 3302507, registered in England and Wales

Registered Address: 20 Manvers Street, Bath. BA1 1PX

VAT Registered in Great Britain: 682635707