Secure Coding mailing list archives

Perspectives on Code Scanning

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:01:15 -0400

In a previous thread someone appropriately commented that perspectives in this space differ depending upon whether you
are a software vendor, government customer or enterprise. I do not disagree that developers need to know how to fix
their code. What I am saying is that tools to assist developers in writing better could should be free.

Your quote "*imho* vendor has to follow developer licensing" is where I think it will harm the goals of secure coding
at large. Consider the trend within the industry that tools for software development are essentially becoming free. No
one pays for IDEs (rare exceptions) when things like Eclipse and Visual Studio have free versions.

Enterprise folks however will pay lots of money for tools in the auditing space that help them to quantify risk. The
ability to scan large multiple code bases is a different product/problem than scanning while writing code in an IDE. I
am saying that more money could be had if folks focus on the first and not the later. Vendors who get it twisted by
focusing on the number of developers are dillusional and should ask themselves why aren't but a select few of any
enterprise pervasively deploying tools to developers.

Give away the developer tools in the same way Microsoft does and you will accelerate your potential sales from the
bottom up. Not all sales within places are driven top down...