Secure Coding mailing list archives

Perspectives on Code Scanning

From: mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA (der Mouse)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

--- the software should work and be secure (co-requirements).

And already we have trouble, because this immediately raises not only
the question "what does `work' mean?" but also "secure against what?".

And answering that correctly requires input from the customer.  Which
we (TINW) won't have until customers recognize a need for security and
get enough clue to know what they want to be secure against.

And we all know how likely customers are to have clue (of just about
any sort).

(Actually, there are markets where the customer usually is clued.
Oddly enough, they also tend to be markets wherein software isn't
security Swiss cheese. :-)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca