Secure Coding mailing list archives

Dark Reading - Desktop Security - Here Comes the (Web) Fuzz - Security News Analysis

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 03:06:22 -0500

Here's an interesting article from Dark Reading about web fuzzers.
Web fuzzing seems to be gaining some traction these days as a popular
means of testing web apps and web services.

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?
doc_id=118162&f_src=darkreading_section_296

Any good/bad experiences and opinions to be shared here on SC-L
regarding fuzzing as a means of testing web apps/services?  I have to
say I'm unconvinced, but agree that they should be one part--and a
small one at that--of a robust testing regimen.

Cheers,

Ken

P.S. I'm over in Belgium right now for SecAppDev (http://
www.secappdev.org).  HD Moore wowed the class here with a demo of
Metasploit 3.0.  For those of you that haven't looked at this (soon
to be released, but available in beta now) tool, you really should
check it out.  Although it's geared at the IT Security pen testing
audience, I do believe that it has broader applicability as a
framework for constructing one-off exploits against applications.
-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk
SC-L Moderator
KRvW Associates, LLC