Secure Coding mailing list archives

Nokia Lets Users Update Phone Software Directly (Phone Scoop)

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:44:15 -0500

SC-L,

Ok, so we all have various opinions about security patching practices
in software -- mostly bad, I'm confident.  But, in today's
environment, patching still seems to be a necessary evil.  But for
the most part, mobile devices have been pretty much left out in the
code.  That's starting to change, but slowly.  Here's a story about
Nokia's recent announcement to enable their phone users to update the
software on their own phones.  Of course, apart from the legitimate
security updating aspects of this sort of feature, I wonder if
they've carefully thought through the misuse cases...  Time will tell.

In any case, FYI -- here's a URL to the article.  Happy reading.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2105

Cheers,

Ken
-----