Secure Coding mailing list archives

"Bumper sticker" definition of secure software

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:48:04 +1000

On 7/25/06, Dana Epp <dana at vulscan.com> wrote:
But secure software is not a technology problem,

Yes it is.

it's a business one.
Focused on people.

This is part of the issue, not the whole issue.

If smartcards were so great, why isn't every single computer in the
world equipped with a reader?

The answer isn't that smart cards aren't great, it's that it's not a
practical possibility. Maybe oneday it will be.

There will always be technology safeguards
we can put in place to mitigate particular problems. But technology is
not a panacea here.

*sigh* I never said it was. No one said it was.

It is no different than "network security professionals" that deploy
$30,000 firewalls to protect digital assets worth less than the computer
they are on. (I once saw a huge Checkpoint firewall protecting an MP3
server. Talk about waste.) Those guys should be shot for ever making
that recommendation. As should secure software engineers who think they
can solve all problems with technology without considering all risks and
impacts to the business.

All this is interesting but useless for this discussion. Nobody said
you should try and solve all problems with technology without consider
the impacts to the business. Please go back and read the original
posts to find out what we were talking about before going off on a
boring, totally unoriginal, rant, that everyone here is already
intimately familiar with.

Regards,
Dana Epp

-- mic