Secure Coding mailing list archives

"Bumper sticker" definition of secure software

From: dana at vulscan.com (Dana Epp)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:47:19 -0700

But secure software is not a technology problem, it's a business one.
Focused on people.

If smartcards were so great, why isn't every single computer in the
world equipped with a reader? There will always be technology safeguards
we can put in place to mitigate particular problems. But technology is
not a panacea here.

There will always be trade-offs that will trump secure design and
deployment of safeguards. It's not about putting ABSOLUTE security in...
It's about putting just enough security in to mitigate risks to
acceptable levels to the business scenario at hand, and at a cost that
is justifiable. Smartcard readers aren't deployed everywhere as they
simply are too costly to deploy, against particular PERCEIVED threats
that may or not be part of an application's threat profile.

I agree that we can significantly lessen the technology integration
problem with computers. We are, after all, supposed to be competent
developers that can leverage the IT infrastructure to our bidding. The
problem is when we keep our head in the technology bubble without
thinking about the business impacts and costs, wasting resources in the
wrong areas.

It is no different than "network security professionals" that deploy
$30,000 firewalls to protect digital assets worth less than the computer
they are on. (I once saw a huge Checkpoint firewall protecting an MP3
server. Talk about waste.) Those guys should be shot for ever making
that recommendation. As should secure software engineers who think they
can solve all problems with technology without considering all risks and
impacts to the business.

Regards,
Dana Epp
[Microsoft Security MVP]