Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Comparing Scanning Tools (false positives)

From: info at secappdev.org (Johan Peeters)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:38:05 +0200

Crispin Cowan wrote:
David A. Wheeler wrote:

Brian Chess (brian at fortifysoftware dot com) said:

False positives:
Nobody likes dealing with a pile of false positives, and we work hard to
reduce false positives without giving up potentially exploitable
vulnerabilities.

I think everyone agrees that there are "way too many false positives"
in the sense that "there are so many it's annoying and it costs money
to check them out" in most of today's tools.

But before you say "tools are useless" you have to ask, "compared to
what?"
Manual review can find all sorts of things, but manual review is likely
to miss many serious problems too.  ESPECIALLY if there are only a
few manual reviewers for a large codebase, an all-too-common situation.

I would like to introduce you to my new kick-ass scanning tool. You run
it over your source code, and it only produces a single false-positive
for you to check out. That false positive just happens to be the
complete source code listing for your entire program :)

If you can guarantee it is a false positive, this is a very useful tool
indeed :-)

kr,

Yo

--