Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Comparing Scanning Tools (false positives)

From: dwheeler at ida.org (David A. Wheeler)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:49:58 -0400

Gary McGraw wrote:
Hi all (especially david),

The story you repeated about ITS4 finding a vulnerability
"that can't happen" is wrong.

The tool FIST (a fault injection tool for security) which we decribed
in an Oakland paper from 1998 was what you were thinking of.
(FIST was also produced at cigital...the paper was by anup ghosh,
tom o'connor, and myself.). FIST found a vulnerbility that we could not
figure out how to exploit.  Some 6 months later, a security researcher
figured out how and published the sploit.

Ah! That explains why I couldn't find it.  Right basic story, and right
company... but wrong tool.  Thanks for the correction.

I think it's a very good cautionary tale, and not everyone's
heard it.  Could you post a little more information about that
here, with citations (URLs where possible)?  I believe a preprint
of the FIST paper you mean is here, correct?:
  http://www.cigital.com/papers/download/ieees_p98_2col.pdf

--- David A. Wheeler