Secure Coding mailing list archives

Bugs and flaws

From: jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com (Jeff Williams)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:12:32 -0500

At the risk of piling on here, there's no question that it's critical to
consider security problems across the continuum. While we're at it, the
analysis should start back even further with the requirements or even the
whole system concept.

All of the representations across the continuum (rqmts, arch, design, code)
are just models of the same thing.  They start more abstract and end up as
code.  A *single* problem could exist in all these models at the same time.

Higher-level representations of systems are generally eclipsed by lower
level ones fairly rapidly.  For example, it's a rare group that updates
their design docs as implementation progresses. So once you've got code, the
architecture-flaws don't come from architecture documents (which lie). The
best place to look for them (if you want truth) is to look in the code.

To me, the important thing here is to give software teams good advice about
the level of effort they're going to have to put into fixing a problem. If
it helps to give a security problem a label to let them know they're going
to have to go back to the drawing board, I think saying 'architecture-flaw'
or 'design-flaw' is fine. But I agree with others that saying 'flaw' alone
doesn't help distinguish it from 'bug' in the minds of most developers or
architects.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, CEO
Aspect Security