Secure Coding mailing list archives

Bugs and flaws

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:02:36 -0500

Hi all,

When I introduced the "bugs" and "flaws" nomenclature into the
literature, I did so in an article about the software security workshop
I chaired in 2003 (see http://www.cigital.com/ssw/).  This was
ultimately written up in an "On the Horizon" paper published by IEEE
Security & Privacy.

Nancy Mead and I queried the SWEBOK and looked around to see if the new
usage caused collision.  It did not.  The reason I think it is important
to distinguish the two ends of the rather slippery range (crispy is
right about that) is that software security as a field is not paying
enough attention to architecture.  By identifying flaws as a subcategory
of defects (according the the SWEBOK), we can focus some attention on
the problem.

From the small glossary in "Software Security" (my new book out
tomorrow):

Bug-A bug is an implementation-level software problem. Bugs may exist in
code but never be executed. Though the term bug is applied quite
generally
by many software practitioners, I reserve use of the term to encompass
fairly
simple implementation errors. Bugs are implementation-level problems
that
can be easily discovered and remedied. See Chapter 1.

Flaw-A design-level or architectural software defect. High-level defects
cause 50% of software security problems. See Chapter 1.

In any case, I intend to still use these terms like this, and I would be
very pleased if you would all join me.

gem

This electronic message transmission contains information that may be
confidential or privileged.  The information contained herein is intended
solely for the recipient and use by any other party is not authorized.  If
you are not the intended recipient (or otherwise authorized to receive this
message by the intended recipient), any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of the information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic message transmission in error, please contact the sender by
reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Cigital, Inc. accepts no
responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of this email or its contents.
Thank You.