Secure Coding mailing list archives

ZDNET: LAMP lights the way in open-source security

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 12:59:50 -0800

Gavin, Michael wrote:
Yeah, statistics can allow you to say and "prove" just about anything.

OK, showing my ignorance here, since I haven't checked out any of the
LAMP source trees and reviewed the code: how much of the code making up
those modules is written in scripting languages vs. how much of it is
written in C, C++ (and how much, if any, is written in any other
compiled languages)?

That doesn't matter; what matters is what fraction of disclosed
vulnerabilities is in each segment of the code? If 90% of the
vulnerabilities come from the PHP part, then the fact that 90% of the
lines of code are in C doesn't help.

If the LAMP source code itself is primarily C/C++, then arguably, the
results are somewhat interesting, though I think they would be much more
interesting if this DISA project was set up to test the open source code
with a number of commercial scanners instead of just the Coverity
scanner, then we could at least compare the merits of various scanning
techniques and implementations.
The proprietary status of the Coverity scanner is a continuous pain.
That's why I tend to ignore it where possible :)

Crispin
--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com