Secure Coding mailing list archives

ZDNET: LAMP lights the way in open-source security

From: mgavin at forrester.com (Gavin, Michael)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:45:45 -0500

Yeah, statistics can allow you to say and "prove" just about anything.

OK, showing my ignorance here, since I haven't checked out any of the
LAMP source trees and reviewed the code: how much of the code making up
those modules is written in scripting languages vs. how much of it is
written in C, C++ (and how much, if any, is written in any other
compiled languages)?

If the LAMP source code itself is primarily C/C++, then arguably, the
results are somewhat interesting, though I think they would be much more
interesting if this DISA project was set up to test the open source code
with a number of commercial scanners instead of just the Coverity
scanner, then we could at least compare the merits of various scanning
techniques and implementations. In this case, the distinction to me is
that they have tested the LAMP platform code, not the code that people
write on top of it for their applications, and are making some
statements about the software security of the LAMP platform compared to
the rest of the open source code they scanned.

If on the other hand, a significant portion of the LAMP code base itself
is made up of scripting language code, then I agree with you, the
results aren't terribly useful to anyone other than possibly Coverity
and Stanford. Note: significant is open to interpretation, but doesn't
have to be large; 10 or 15 per cent would seem significant enough to me.