Secure Coding mailing list archives

Question about the terms "encypt" and "secure"

From: jeremy.epstein at webmethods.com (Jeremy Epstein)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:04:12 -0800

Encryption is one way to secure the *transport* on the network (subject to
various caveats about appropriate use of crypto, trust issues, etc.).  I'd
strongly disagree with anyone who says that encryption "makes a network
secure" - because people interpret that to mean "if I encrypt the network, I
don't need to do anything else".  In fact, there's lots of other things you
need to do, such as authenticating the actions, ensuring you have adequate
audit trails, ensuring that there are no security vulnerabilities, etc.
Some people consider that to be host security as a separate topic, and so
for them, encryption *does* secure the network.  But I get nervous when
someone says encryption secures the network, lest it be considered as an
excuse to ignore all the other problems.

WRT the Marine Guards approach, years ago another approach was to run cables
through pressurized conduits with sensors to detect if anyone tampered with
the conduit before they could tap into the line.  No idea if this is still
done, or if there are new attacks possible (e.g., measuring the power
leakage from the conduits).  At that time, "Orange Book" evaluations weren't
allowed to rely on cryptography as a security measure, so a network
evaluation I worked on suggested using the Marine Guards approach.  Not that
we expected anyone to do it, but it was the only way to get past the
ridiculous requirement...

--Jeremy