Secure Coding mailing list archives

Question about the terms "encypt" and "secure"

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:59:35 -0500

At 12:35 PM -0500 3/5/06, William L. Anderson wrote:

My question is whether it's more accurate to say "secure their network"
rather than "encrypt". I'm not clear myself about the meaning of these
terms; I think of encryption as being one way to make a network secure.

Another way that was described some years ago was Marine Guards every 5
feet down the Thick Ethernet cable to prevent unauthorized taps.  Of
course that was by someone in the cryptographic business :-)
--
Larry Kilgallen