Secure Coding mailing list archives

application security reqs - standards comparison?

From: falcon at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:25:23 -0500

Greetings - new to the list, was reading through the archives, saw this
recent post...

Jari Pirhonen wrote:
Does anyone know or have a document, which would compare different
security/auditing standards
from the application security point of view? For example ISO 17799, COBIT,
ISF, VISA/MC, GAISP,
etc. I'd like to see, how much differences there really are and if one
standard would cover all
the other standards on this particular area.

I published a white paper last Summer that classifies, compares, and
describes many of these methods.  It's available online from
http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/professional/papers/Alphabet_Soup.pdf and
is scheduled for an updated release this Winter to account for the recent
revisions of 17799, new release of 27001, finalized PCI DSS standards,
upcoming revisions to CobiT, and so on.  Your comments or corrections are
welcomed.

cheers,

-ben

---
Benjamin Tomhave, CISSP
falcon at secureconsulting.net
http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/

"We must scrupulously guard the civil liberties of all
citizens, whatever their background. We must remember
that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a
wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt