Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: The biggest thing affecting software security? People, apparently.

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <bellovin () acm org>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:19:05 +0100

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nick Murison writes
:
Hi all,

www.threatsandcountermeasures.com just closed their poll on what people
thought was the biggest thing affecting software security.  The results were:

People:     80.3%
Process:    18.2%
Technology:  1.5%

Results also available from www.threatsandcountermeasures.com/PastPolls.aspx.

If this is the case, then why is there such a huge financial investment in
security technology?  Is the human factor expected to magically improves once
we've got the "right" technology?

It's known as "looking under the streetlamp for your keys".  Technology
is more tractable than people are...

I could be charitable and point out that technology has long been used
to compensate for human deficiencies.  If I did that, however, I'd also
have to point out how often inappropriate use of technology has made
things worse.

                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.stevebellovin.com