Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Re: The biggest thing affecting software security? People, apparently.

From: "Yousef Syed" <ysyed () dial pipex com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:15:16 +0100

Numerous corporations have induction schemes for new employees.
These should be designed to contain a significant portion referring to basic
security.
If they covered little else than advice on how to use email appropriately,
it would be a huge benefit. (e.g. Don't open attachments unless you were
expecting it; Don't open/respond to junk mail; Teach them the tell-tale
signs that an attachment is a virus).
Many corporations have these things in their policy and email usage
documents. They just aren't enforced! Partly because many managers are found
making the errors in the first place! A change in attitude is required.

The best way to do this is to show/publicize the costs involved in when
viruses spread through a corporation; or when or if users' credit-card
details are compromised.
Corporations won't change unless it is made worthwhile to them.