Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Application Insecurity --- Who is at Fault?

From: Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:08:32 +0100

On Apr 7, 2005 1:16 AM, Goertzel Karen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think it's a matter of SHARED reponsibility. Yes, the programmers and
their managers are directly responsible. But it's consumers who create
demand, and consumers who, out of ignorance, continue to fail to make
the connection between bad software security and the viruses, privacy,
and other issues about which they are becoming increasingly concerned.

Quite frankly I don't think consumers need to care at all about this.

Do you, when buying chips, ask how they were cooked? Do you go back
and inspect the kitchen? Do you ask for a report on their compliance
to local health laws? No. The most you might do is glance at a box
with some ticks on it.

Why should software be any different? Why place the burden on
consumers to now evalutate the security of your products? Not only
don't they care, nor do they have the time, they wouldn't know where
to start!

The consumer can't be held responsible for his ignorance...

Exactly!

Because practioners of "safe software" have not done a very good
job of getting the message out in terms that consumers, vs. other
software practioners and IT managers, can understand.

I propose that the following is the kind of message that might make a
consumer sit up and listen:

"We understand that you buy software to get your work or online
recreation done as easily as possible. But being able to get that work
done WITHOUT leaving yourself wide open to exploitation and compromise
of YOUR computer and YOUR personal information is also important, isn't
it?

Answer: Duh.

"A number of software products, including some of the most popular ones,
are full of bugs and other vulnerabilities that DO leave those programs
wide open to being exploited by hackers so they can get at YOUR personal
information, and take over YOUR computing resources.

Answer: So? I need to use them.

"Why is such software allowed to be sold at all? Because no-one
regulates the SECURITY of the software products that these the companies
put out, least of all the programmers who write that software. And, more
importantly, because you the consumer hasn't been told before that you
can make a difference. You can vote with your feet.

Answer: But how will I pay my GST next month if I can't use my
accounting program? I don't want to waste time transferring all my
data to another product...

"Demand that the software you use not be full of holes and 'undocumented
features' that can be exploited by hackers.

Answer: How? I buy my software at a department store.

If we can start to raise consumer awareness

It's easy to blame the consumer - it means we
programmers/management/whatever don't need to do anything until they
ask us. But they will _never_ be able to ask all the right questions.
_Never_. So to put that requirement on them is just our 'easy way out'
of the problem.

-- Michael

--
Karen Goertzel, CISSP