Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Re: Application Insecurity --- Who is at Fault?

From: "Carl G. Alphonce" <alphonce () cse Buffalo EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:13:36 +0100

on Monday April 11, 2005, Damir Rajnovic wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:21:30PM +1000, Michael Silk wrote:
 Back to the bridge or house example, would you allow the builder to
leave off 'security' of the structure? Allow them to introduce some
design flaws to get it done earlier? Hopefully not ... so why is it
allowed for programming? Why can people cut out 'security' ? It's not
extra! It's fundamental to 'programming' (imho anyway).

Even builders and architects do experiment and introduce new things.
Not all of these are outright success. We have a wobbly bridge in UK and
there is(was) new terminal at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris.

Every profession makes mistakes. Some are more obvious and some not. I am
almost certain that architects can tell you many more stories where
things were not done as secure as they should have been.

Comparisons can be misleading.

Indeed.  I am fairly certain that there are numerous examples of
buildings which were properly designed yet were built differently.  I
can't believe that builders never use different materials than are
called for in the plans, and that they never make on-site adjustments
to the plans to accomodate last-minute customer requests ("we really
want a double sink in the master bath"), etc.

           /\
Carl Alphonce                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept of Computer Science and Engineering (716) 645-3180 x115 (tel)
University at Buffalo                    (716) 645-3464      (fax)
Buffalo, NY 14260-2000                   www.cse.buffalo.edu/~alphonce