Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Why Software Will Continue to Be Vulnerable

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 17:56:59 +0100

What really mystifies me is the anlogy to fire insurance. *Everyone*
keeps their fire insurance up to date, it costs money, and it protects
against a very rare event that most fire insurance customers have never
experienced. What is it that makes consumers exercise prudent good
sense for fire insurance, but not in selecting software?

Fire safety is physical, not tremendously complicated, and we have tons of
actuarial data. Software security, on the other hand, is extremely difficult
for anyone to measure -- it takes a lot of effort, even with the most
advanced tools and knowledge.

So there's no way for anyone to tell which software is secure.  Many vendors
make dramatically inflated claims about their product's security features
and rarely get called on them.  For example, there are dozens of vendors
claiming that their technology solves the OWASP Top Ten -- which is
ridiculous.

Anyway, it's not surprising to me that consumers aren't seeking out
security.  Or that vendors aren't providing it for that matter.  In my
opinion, the market is broken because of asymmetric information, and it will
never work until we find ways to make security more visible to everyone.

I did a talk on this at the NSA High Confidence Software and Solutions
conference a few weeks back.  The slides are here
http://www.aspectsecurity.com/documents/Aspect_HCSS_Brief.ppt.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.