Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: certification for engineers/developers?

From: "Yousef Syed" <ysyed () dial pipex com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:52:37 +0000

I know what you mean about the Certifications. I managed to go the last
seven years as a Java/J2EE Architect Contractor without even a Java
Certification to my name... Then last year, I joined a certain well known
consultancy that insisted on my getting certified! The Java Certification
itself has got to be the most worthless certification on the planet as far
useful knowledge is concerned. However, consultancies use these bits of
paper to charge more for their consultants.
The only real use that I can see for a certification is if you need to cross
over into a related discipline. I.e. A DBA wanting to prove that he/she is
also a competent programmer; thus getting access to better work. However, a
good manager should see your competency without the need for that silly bit
of paper.

ys

--
Yousef Syed