Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: free lunch almost over

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:43:46 +0000

I think we're focused on different aspects of 'important.' The sheer number
of web applications does make concurrency in that environment an important
issue for this list. Concurrency used to be the province of a relatively
small number of developers who understood that were working in a
multithreaded environment. Now the number of programmers who need to
understand concurrency is, well, almost all of them. That's why the issue is
important for the list (or at least to me).

I think the "some web site going down" comment doesn't reflect the reality
of how web technology is used. Virtually every sector (including finance,
banking, healthcare, defense) depends of web apps. Our economy would
literally stop if certain web applications failed. Anyway, I think we
probably agree here that concurrency is a tough issue and pretty
'important'.

--Jeff