Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: ACM Queue article and security education

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 06:39:31 +0100

Peter Amey wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I follow this.  I _think_ you are saying:
"since we can't be sure that X is perfect (because it might have 5
remaining flaws) then there is no point in adopting it".  You seem to
be saying that it doesn't matter if X is _demonstrably_much_better_
than Y, if it is not perfect then don't change.  Have I got that
right?

No.  I was claiming that languages that allow for safety and verifiction
can't neccessarily be trusted 100%.  There will always be a last few
bugs.  As I said in my note that you replied to, that doesn't
neccessarily mean you don't use it.  The other part of my note had to do
with the last few bugs not coming to light until *everyone* is using
that language.  Also not a reason to not go ahead and use it now, since
the sooner the world starts to switch, the sooner you kill the last few
bugs.

I think you were reacting to the one sarcastic part of my note, which
essentially says "good luck getting the world to switch."

                                                BB