Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: ACM Queue article and security education

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:21:30 +0100

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 12:00, Michael S Hines allegedly wrote:

<snip>

And then a thought question - in message passing operating systems
(those that respond to external stimuli, or internal message queues)
- if one can inject messages into the processing queue, can't one in
essence 'capture the flag'?

The short version of a very long answer is:  "It's certainly possible,
but we've been securing message-based systems for a long time and
understand the attacks and defenses.  Any well-designed message-based
system includes controls that preserve the confidentiality, integrity
and availability of the system.  Some even include audit trails, etc."

  Yet we see message passing systems as
middleware (and OS core technology in some cases) to facilitate cross
platform interfaces.  Aren't we introducing inherient security flaws
in the process?

Yes.  See above.  Google for "CORBASec", "DCE Security Service,"
MQSecure.  Go to www.w3c.org, www.oasis-open.org,
www.projectliberty.org, www.ws-i.org, etc. for the work that's being
done on securing Web services.  Then go to http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/
and search on terms like Kerberos, SSL, TLS, IPSec, etc.  Then, see
_Applied_Cryptography_ and _Practical_Cryptography . . .

You are absolutely correct that, left unprotected, message passing
systems are subject to *all* *sorts* of attacks.  The good news is that
there are lots of very smart people working on securing them.

Cheers,

George Capehart
--
George W. Capehart

Key fingerprint:  3145 104D 9579 26DA DBC7  CDD0 9AE1 8C9C DD70 34EA

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."  -- RFC 1925